Are you concerned about the loss of functional teeth in your mouth, or are you already suffering from them? There are many things that you can do to prevent them, and plenty of reasons that they can lead to other problems rather than just aesthetic ones. Learn about some of these problems below:
- You won’t be able to chew foods as normally as you once did once you have the loss of functional teeth. With missing teeth, especially once near the back of your mouth, you won’t be able to close your mouth in the same ways, causing you to have to change the way that you chew your meals.
- Speaking of chewing, as you try to chew on the same teeth, your opposing tooth (on the top or bottom) will be searching for another tooth to match up with, causing super-eruption.
- Teeth next to it will do the same thing, as it will begin to drift into the empty space where another tooth once was. Much like taking your wisdom teeth out to make room for others, only other teeth aren’t built to act in that fashion.
- With more space between your teeth, it’s more room for food to get stuck in between and cause damage to your gums, and cause bad breath.
- You may develop lopsided chewing patterns, which could take a toll on your jaw, causing TMJ osteoarthritis when there’s uneven chewing on the sides of your mouth. This is not only going to lead to issues chewing, but even speaking if it gets out of hand.
- You may also lose some of the “alveolar” bone height in the area of the missing tooth.
- Your cheek may start to collapse into the space where your tooth once was, causing cosmetic and function problems, and increased cheek and even tongue biting.
Prevent all of these consequences of loss of functional teeth from occurring by visiting Elite Dental today for a teeth cleaning and checking up on all things dental. Already missing teeth, and want to prevent any further damage from being done? We can help with that too. Schedule an appointment online to talk to us about dental implants.
With dental implants, we will be able to replace your missing teeth with a more permanent solution than dentures. They act as natural teeth so you can speak, chew, and do everything normally, to prevent the loss of functional teeth around the ones that are missing. The implants will help to keep other teeth in the correct place and prevent any movement that isn’t natural.
You can also give us a call at 214-220-2424 for more information. We’re happy to help you however we can, and prevent the loss of functional teeth in your mouth!